Quinquagesima Sunday

Quinquagesima Sunday - meaning it is approximately 50 days until Easter. It is also the last Sunday of the Season of Septuagesima and the last Sunday before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday.

In the Gospel for today, again in the Extraoridnary Rite, Jesus heals the blind man on the side of the road who pleads for Jesus, Son of David to have mercy on him. Jesus hears him and tells him that his faith has healed him, and restores his sight.

For today's Epistle, we have the teaching on charity or love:

(1 Corinthians 13. 1-13) Brethren, If I speak with the tongues of men and of Angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. And if I should have prophecy, and should know all mysteries and all knowledge: and if I should have all faith so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity is patient, is kind: Charity envieth not, dealing not perversely, is not puffed up, is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil, rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth: beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But when I became a man, I put away the things of a child. We see now through a glass in a dark manner: but then face to face. Now I know in part: but then I shall know even as I am known. And now there remain faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Of note, this is yet another scriptural teaching against sola fide (faith alone). For faith, if it is alone, is nothing - and faith without charity is nothing. For a true saving faith, it will be accompanied by good works, of which love, or charity, is one. If one does not have charity in their heart, which is part of saving grace, then faith or believing accomplishes nothing - for even the devils believe in Jesus Christ, but that belief does not save them.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep in mind while posting:
1) Please respond ON TOPIC to the article at hand.
2) Posts more than 4 weeks old are set to automatically save new comments for moderation - so your comment may not show up immediately if you're responding to an older post.
3) The "Spam Filter" is on - and randomly messages get caught in that filter. I have no control over which messages get caught in the spam filter and those that do must wait for me to mark them as "not spam." A message caught by the spam filter may show up for a moment, making you think it posted, and then disappear. Do not assume I have deleted your comment, it's probably just the spam filter and it will show up.

Feast of the Assumption

 The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - another example of "not-so-ordinary" days! These are COUNTING days - and...