One or Two Spaces?

In a course I am currently taking, this subject came up and I thought I would throw it out here too for any of you to add a comment to, should you care to...


I have to jump into the fray on this as I can relate to the “MUST have two spaces between sentences” v. “MUST have one space.” 
I was “helping” my son with a high school paper a few years ago, and I told him per APA (Publication manual of the American Psychological Association, 2010) and MLA (The MLA Center, 2016) one or two spaces is acceptable. He was marked down for using two spaces and his high school teacher said "two spaces is no longer acceptable." 
So today I searched it out again and for MLA it says, "Leave one space after a period or other concluding punctuation mark, unless your instructor prefers two spaces" (2016). 

For APA it explicitly states, “one space after periods” (2010, p. 87) then on the next page states, “Spacing twice after punctuation marks at the end of a sentence aids readers of draft manuscripts” (2010, p. 88). So, for a final draft it should be a single space after a period ending a sentence, if I am reading the manual correctly. For the type of work we are doing for these modules, is it left up to the judgment of the professor? Perhaps there is another reference in the APA manual I have not seen yet? I am still a bit confused by this debate. At the risk of using a little colloquialism, is this a hill we/I need to die on?
Scott Windsor<<<
References:
Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. (2010). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
The MLA Style Center. (2016, July 27). Retrieved from https://style.mla.org/number-of-spaces-after-period/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep in mind while posting:
1) Please respond ON TOPIC to the article at hand.
2) Posts more than 4 weeks old are set to automatically save new comments for moderation - so your comment may not show up immediately if you're responding to an older post.
3) The "Spam Filter" is on - and randomly messages get caught in that filter. I have no control over which messages get caught in the spam filter and those that do must wait for me to mark them as "not spam." A message caught by the spam filter may show up for a moment, making you think it posted, and then disappear. Do not assume I have deleted your comment, it's probably just the spam filter and it will show up.

Feast of the Assumption

 The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - another example of "not-so-ordinary" days! These are COUNTING days - and...