St. Nicholas to Santa Claus

1935 Coca Cola ad
Each year I like to post my appeal that Santa Claus is REAL!  The spirit of giving in St. Nicholas, whose name is where we get "Santa Claus" - IS the REAL spirit of Christmas we see and participate in on Christmas Day.   The "real" Santa Claus is not the commercialized version made popular by early Coca-Cola advertisements and later "Christmas Specials" on TV, though there is a relationship even there.  

One of my fondest memories of Christmas TV shows as a child is "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - wherein we get the REAL Christmas story through his friend Linus, his translation is a bit off at the end, but I digress.  The point I want to stress is  again, the "giving spirit" of "Santa Claus" is truly the spirit of St. Nicolas, Bishop of Myra.  When I am asked, "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"  I answer, "Yes!"  And that allows me to get into a discussion of St. Nicolas.

Tomorrow is the Feast of St. Nicholas.  A few years back I compiled an article with history and traditions of St. Nicholas Day.  One tradition our family practices is a St. Nicholas Day present.  My wife and I made sure we had some small gift for the kids every December 6th.  

You can see this and several other articles posted here on CathApol by clicking on the St. Nick label.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep in mind while posting:
1) Please respond ON TOPIC to the article at hand.
2) Posts more than 4 weeks old are set to automatically save new comments for moderation - so your comment may not show up immediately if you're responding to an older post.
3) The "Spam Filter" is on - and randomly messages get caught in that filter. I have no control over which messages get caught in the spam filter and those that do must wait for me to mark them as "not spam." A message caught by the spam filter may show up for a moment, making you think it posted, and then disappear. Do not assume I have deleted your comment, it's probably just the spam filter and it will show up.

Feast of the Assumption

 The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - another example of "not-so-ordinary" days! These are COUNTING days - and...