Missed It By That Much!

This time I am giving this "Missed It By That Much" - to ME! I was back in the hospital last week and one of the chaplains and I were discussing the Blessed Virgin Mary. I made a comment about Catholics do not "worship" her like a goddess. He responded, with, "Well, some do," and gave me a look like, "you agree with me on that, don't you?" I responded that it is not Catholic teaching, but I cannot speak for every single professing Catholic out there - and that is where I "Missed It By That Much!" 


I told my wife about this discussion and she was quick to point out, as a "cradle Catholic," she has NEVER heard of ANY Catholic worshiping Mary as if she were a goddess - NOT ONE! Of course, that is a bit anecdotal, but true! I too know of NO Catholic who believes the Blessed Virgin is a goddess. Now you might find some former Catholic professing he/she worshiped Mary as a goddess - but that might be one of the reasons they are no longer Catholic - they didn't KNOW their faith!

The problem here is many Protestants, like this chaplain, have a perception of Catholics where they believe that WE believe the Blessed Virgin is essentially a goddess. I did explain that prayers to Mary are essentially petitioning her to petition her Son to gain graces or answer prayers. She does not replace Jesus, as when we go to her, ultimately we are going to Him THROUGH her. 

We discussed the Wedding at Cana, Jesus' first public miracle, where she intervened and even after He told her, "this is not My time," she turns to the servants, knowingly, and says, "Do whatever He tells you." Jesus then goes to them and has them fill the large water pots to the brim with water, and turns the water into wine! (John 2:1-11).

 Want to discuss this more? Please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep in mind while posting:
1) Please respond ON TOPIC to the article at hand.
2) Posts more than 4 weeks old are set to automatically save new comments for moderation - so your comment may not show up immediately if you're responding to an older post.
3) The "Spam Filter" is on - and randomly messages get caught in that filter. I have no control over which messages get caught in the spam filter and those that do must wait for me to mark them as "not spam." A message caught by the spam filter may show up for a moment, making you think it posted, and then disappear. Do not assume I have deleted your comment, it's probably just the spam filter and it will show up.

Feast of the Assumption

 The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - another example of "not-so-ordinary" days! These are COUNTING days - and...