Scripture of the Week - Who Is Drawn?


From class:

Verse: In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps (Proverbs 16:9, New International Version).

Translation: He leads the way and shines light on the path of life.

Application: We can bend hearts and minds with our own will and intentions, but we are made in His image. He paves the way, as our design is divine.

The readings this week, the 19th Week in Ordinal Time (I refuse to use "Ordinary Time" but that's a topic for another discussion) were:

1 Kgs 19:4-8

Eph 4:30—5:2

and the Gospel was:

Jn 6:41-51

Part of the Gospel reading goes: "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day." I tied that to the Scripture of the Week (my professor provides passages each week) as we, men (and women) make choices in life, one may choose to follow Christ while another chooses not to, but only those who are drawn can come to the Father. That used to trouble me a bit until I ran into John 12:32 - "When I am lifted up. I will draw all men unto Me." This brings us back to John 3:16 "For God so loved the world (not just a part of it) that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." In short, and tying it back to this week's Scripture, while man(kind) chooses - God has laid out the path, the groundwork, and all we need to do is heed His Word - and it is left to the free choice of men to follow or reject Christ.

1 comment:

  1. My instructor responded:
    The follow up question is what can we do to assist everyone's choice in following Christ?
    I reply:
    My standard response here is from 1 Peter 3:15:
    "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."
    As apologists, we need to keep this verse close to the heart and mind so that when people ask us questions - we respond as the Lord would have us respond, and not from pride or malice. If our answers are presented with charity, then the recipient may be more receptive to not only hear, but heed the drawing which Christ has done when He was lifted up on the Cross (John 12:32).

    In Christ,
    Scott<<<

    ReplyDelete

Keep in mind while posting:
1) Please respond ON TOPIC to the article at hand.
2) Posts more than 4 weeks old are set to automatically save new comments for moderation - so your comment may not show up immediately if you're responding to an older post.
3) The "Spam Filter" is on - and randomly messages get caught in that filter. I have no control over which messages get caught in the spam filter and those that do must wait for me to mark them as "not spam." A message caught by the spam filter may show up for a moment, making you think it posted, and then disappear. Do not assume I have deleted your comment, it's probably just the spam filter and it will show up.

Feast of the Assumption

 The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - another example of "not-so-ordinary" days! These are COUNTING days - and...