Catholic School Respects Women

So what's the deal?  Mesa Preparatory Academy (MPA) has a girl playing baseball against boys.  On the surface one might think, "who cares?"   But in reality if you're a boy who is considering stealing second, and the second baseman is not a "man" at all, but a girl - do you put forth the full-out effort to steal, knowing that one of the possibilities is you're going to slide into her, and if you hit hard enough she may drop the ball and you'll be safe?  The same holds true in a double-play situation - it is the runner's responsibility to disrupt the second baseman in anyway they can, either missing the throw to him, or messing up the throw to first base.  The boys, coaches and faculty of Our Lady of Sorrows Academy (OLSA) respect women and out of respect for women, they forfeit the state championship game rather than put their morals off to the side for the sake of a game.

Some have argued that OLSA should not participate in a league which allows girls to play, but the league and all the other teams know the position of OLSA and in two regular season games between MPA and OLSA the young lady sat out those games, respecting the values of OLSA - but when it came to the championship game those values were no longer respected?  Why did she not insist upon playing in the regular season?  They know that OLSA would have forfeited those games as well, so why change their position at the state championship game?  The team, coaches and parents showing inconsistency and lack of fortitude is that of MPA.   So why should OLSA play in the league at all?  Again, the league and the teams know the position of OLSA and they said nothing prior to the state championship game.  The position of OLSA has been well known in the league and they have forfeited other games in other sports prior to this incident.

The mother of stated "I felt like any passionate athletic person would feel (in that situation)," said Sultzbach, who added, "I don't want our very first high-school baseball team to win the championship on a forfeit."  The insistence upon putting Paige into the game caused the forfeit.  The mother also said:  “This team has worked so hard,” she said. “They’re undefeated. They had one game left. At our school, we’re taught that when you start something, you complete it, and they weren’t done.”  Then they shouldn't force the hand of the well-known position of OLSA.   They knew going into the game that OLSA would forfeit if MPA played a girl.   

When the league began play Paige was not on MPA's team.  The first time OLSA became aware of her being on the team was the first time the teams met earlier in the season - and it was decided that Paige would sit out the game - which she did on the other time the two teams met in the regular season.  MPA, coincidentally, won both of those games.  The may have been able to win the championship without her too AND would have been playing OLSA on the same terms they played in the regular season.  Insisting that Paige played they guaranteed their state championship.

The bottom line is, the men/boys of OLSA have respect for women/girls - and will not put their boys up against girls in coed sports.   This is not the first time this has come up in this league - and it seems to be making national news this time because someone's mom wants some attention.

Related articles:
Huffington Post

Fox News

AZCentral (The Arizona Republic)

Patheos Blog

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments.  I think it was low of MPA to use the girl if they hadn't in previous games.  It is unfair for boys to have to play sports with girls.  It's wrong on so many levels.  I admire OLSA for standing on moral principle over state champonship.
    I don't allow my daughter in the girl scouts or serve at the altar for moral reasons--different reasons, but moral ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider as well, the headmaster at MPA also respects the decision of OLSA. Who is making all the stink about this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally know the coach of MPA and he told me the reason for the girl playing and not playing. She waned to respect OLSA's values due to the fact that those games were being played on OLSA's home field. If they had meet elsewhere, she would have chosen to play. Since the State Championship was to be payed on a neutral field, she chose to play. Not to disrespect OLSA's values, but because she had earned that spot on the team. MPA would have much rather played the game win or lose. No one wants to be champion by default.
    Personally, I respect both teams and their decisions. The girl earned the right to play and OLSA has values that cannot be ignored. The outcome was destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't agree.  I admire you for sticking up for your friends, and it was a nice explanation.   But--I still don't buy it.  It wasn't "destiny", it was a cop-out.  I still think it wrong to have a girl on the team in the first place.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that my own comment did not show up here on my blog, yet it shows in the "Recent Comments" area!  I will copy it again here:
     
    Consider as well, the headmaster at MPA also respects the decision of OLSA. Who is making all the stink about this?  
     
    I sent that from my Kindle, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6.  Hi Doug,
    I see the decision of OLSA to be a very good one.  She
    was not on the team when the season began.  There are good reasons for
    girls not to play baseball against boys - and I have pointed out a few
    already.  If I was a base runner on first base, I would not play as hard
    against a girl as I would against a boy.  Certainly I *could* just
    treat her as any other player, and if confronted with a base stealing
    opportunity or a double-play situation, I could just do my best to
    disrupt her - but then I would be disrespecting her as a young woman.
     No, if I were to face her in said situations, I'd have to go easy -
    take a soft slide and a greater risk of being thrown out, and/or
    assisting a double-play against my own team.  How is that fair play?
     Rather than put my team at a disadvantage, I'd rather the coach
    forfeit. 

    ReplyDelete

Keep in mind while posting:
1) Please respond ON TOPIC to the article at hand.
2) Posts more than 4 weeks old are set to automatically save new comments for moderation - so your comment may not show up immediately if you're responding to an older post.
3) The "Spam Filter" is on - and randomly messages get caught in that filter. I have no control over which messages get caught in the spam filter and those that do must wait for me to mark them as "not spam." A message caught by the spam filter may show up for a moment, making you think it posted, and then disappear. Do not assume I have deleted your comment, it's probably just the spam filter and it will show up.

Feast of the Assumption

 The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - another example of "not-so-ordinary" days! These are COUNTING days - and...